Contact Allergy.

Dogs can develop various types of allergies, and one of these types of allergies is a contact allergy. A contact allergy can occur when your dog seems to develop sensitivity to something almost overnight.

Basically, a contact allergy can be from anything that comes in contact with your dog and causes a reaction.

There are things that you may use on your dog, such as a collar which was fine previously, but now causes a reaction from your dog.  It could be the metal on the collar or any number of things.  Perhaps it is a new detergent you are using to clean your dog’s bedding.

It could be the carpet in your home or a flea collar or treatment.  You may not be able to specifically pinpoint the cause until you remove items from your dog’s environment and then observe your dog’s reaction.

You may notice that the most common areas that are affected are parts of your dog’s body that don’t have as much hair, such as their stomach or groin.  There could be a noticeable reddening of the skin, bumps, blisters or even lesions.

The main thing to keep in mind is if you notice this kind of a reaction that it does not matter if you treat the skin problems, until you actually remove the source of the irritant or allergen.

Your dog’s symptoms will only continue if you cannot determine and remove the source of the allergic reaction.  If you are able to pinpoint what the actual source of the allergy or reaction is and can deal with it or stop your dog from coming into contact with it, then you should be able to treat the resulting skin reaction and have it clear up.

Once you have determined and removed the allergen source, the most common treatment is a skin soothing shampoo and cool bath.  The shampoo may contain prednisone or corticosteroids which will calm the irritation and soothe the skin.

Providing relief to your dog from the constant itch and skin irritation is the best thing that you can do for him.

Be Sociable, Share!

Leave a Reply