It can become very costly to take your dog to the vet for every issue that arises, and many people are very interested in natural remedies for dogs. Of course, if your dog has a serious health issue, you should take him to the vet, but most of the time, there are problems that you can take care of yourself at home using natural remedies for dogs.
Here are a few health issues that can be looked after from home with natural remedies for dogs:
1. Flea Infestation: plenty of dogs have fleas and it causes them to be very uncomfortable, scratching constantly. You can purchase Brewer’s Yeast and give your dog a tablet per day. Crush it up and sprinkle it over his food.
You will need to keep an eye on your dog for any allergic reactions to the yeast – some dogs cannot tolerate it. This is one of the most effective natural methods of flea control and is much safer than the toxic concoctions available on the market to apply to your dog’s coat.
2. Cuts – use a piece of Aloe plant. If you don’t have an Aloe plant, buy one. They truly are invaluable. Simply cut a piece off of the plant, split it open and extract the jelly from inside the plant.
Rub it directly on the cut. Aloe soothes, reduces pain and moisturizes the area. It is also a natural antiseptic.
3. Joint pain/Arthritis - Vitamin C – anywhere from 1,000 mg per day to 2,000 mg can help to ease joint pain in dogs as well as hip dysplacia. If your dog is older and suffers from joint pain, you can give him Glucosamine with his food.
4. Dull Coat – give your dog omega 3 oil or cod liver oil. Simply purchase the capsules and drizzle the oil over your dog’s food one or two times per week.
5. Poor health overall – always examine what exactly you are feeding your dog. There are so many additives in store bought dog food these days, it is a total wonder they get any nutritional value at all from the food.
If your dog has multiple health issues, it may be a direct result of poor diet. Examine what is in your dog’s food and consider moving to a more natural or hypoallergenic diet.